Company: The Tri-City Herald
Posted on: November 22, 2021
The Tri-City Herald is looking for an aggressive newsroom leader
with a strong editing and reporting background committed to
journalism that makes a difference in people's lives. You need a
strong sense of what people are craving to know, as well as what
readers need to know. You will edit and write, collaborating with
our small but mighty reporting and photo teams.This hybrid role
will demand a demonstrated commitment to fairness and accuracy, in
fact and in tone, and a strong grounding in journalism ethics. And
like all journalists at The Tri-City Herald, you must demonstrate a
desire and skills to build engagement and growth around compelling
public service journalism. As a reporter, you will write regularly
on restaurant and store openings and closings in this growing
community and trends in housing and development. Editing and
managing duties will include helping edit and publish stories from
staff and freelance writers, ensuring they have engaging headlines
and solid SEO as we look to build on the success of niche topics
that resonate with new subscribers. Duties will include helping
coach staffers and freelancers on these skills and backing up the
Executive Editor. You will help monitor our social media accounts,
watch for trending digital stories of high reader interest and
engage with readers. Requirements:
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the
ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to
accountability reporting in a way that best serves and engages the
- An ability to meet deadlines and excellent communication
- Sound news judgment, and a demonstrated ability to "see the
story" that is going to matter to readers.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news
- Ability to assist Executive Editor with management of newsroom
employees and freelancers.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as
Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences.
- And understanding of how to use analytics such as pageviews,
digital subscription conversions and referral sources to help
determine which stories resonate with which audiences.
- Ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms,
- Ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content
management systems; social media platforms and analytics
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability
to take and give constructive criticism.
- Reporting experience and college degree required.
- Commitment to diverse coverage through community engagement and
- Fluency in Spanish highly desirable.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver's
license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance
required for the state in which the employee works).
Keywords: The Tri-City Herald, Kennewick , Editor/Reporter, Advertising , Kennewick, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!